Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Is there a thing called hope?

It's been two years...
Two years since her first cornea transplant.  All of her procedures have gone smoothly. She healed really well. 
Her vision....incredible! She can now read her favorite books to me at night; she can do her math facts even after fighting with me not to do them because she is afraid of not being smart enough. She no longer struggled every morning to get out of bed because the sunlight hurt her eyes. 
There for a short time was no more pain, no more suffering...
She could be like every other kid with no restrictions! She played t-ball this year! The first year she has been able to play sports! She learned to swim this summer! No more safety gear, just free cannon balls into the pool. 
It all seemed to be coming to an end; the countless change in medications, the long exhausting road trips, the days missed from my boys, the hours missed at work...

A week ago. Her left eye became a little red and irritated, which can usually be helped with an increase in her lubricant drops. So for two days that's what I did. It usually disappears and she has no worries. But...it wasn't going away...it was worse. So I called her surgeon, who also recommended increasing her lubricant drops. Its how we spent the weekend. 
Sunday ~ The redness had gotten worse and I noticed her cornea had become blurry. 
 She never once complained, winced, cried. 
                She was in pain, and everything was blurry. 
I called her surgeon again on Monday. We increased her corticosteroid eye drops and planned for an appointment the next day. 
A trip we normally do in two days was done in one...six hours down and six hours back home...
It was a necessary trip. I was hoping that it was just a simple infection that would be healed within a few days of some antibiotics and everything would be ok....
I'm still hoping that everything will be ok...
         It was the worst news, she could have gotten....                  
She was having an early rejection episode....

the words hit me like a brick wall...I felt like I was on the outside looking in...
    Raeya was twirling around in the chair with a smile on her face and trying to get sneak peeks into the microscope that was on the table, the doctor was nervously giving me orders for more steroids and appointments...and I was just sitting there...trying to hear everything but not understanding anything.

We had done everything...so why??? Why does she have to go through this again....?

I am at home giving her medicine once an hour...still not understanding....but going through the motions. 

It's hard to have hope. But being strong for her is more important than anything else in the world. 


             It's been a tough journey already and we continue to fight. She continues to shine.
 Her spirit is not broken. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment